Thursday, March 31, 2011

This was a great week and I'm pretty happy to hear that things are getting better at home. I got a laugh out of the kicked shin incident with Brooklyn, just imagining what had happened, but let her know that us Turners aren't quitters and that she has to play hard all the time. I imagine that me and Brooklyn are about the same playing level on soccer because against all these latinos I'm basically a joke. Soccer is their passion and I'm not that great so they just school me all the time.

Wow Mack! That is so amazing that you are singing a solo! I would never be able to do that, but I am getting better at talking to random people and not getting nervous. Keep up the great work Mack and you will be blessed by the Lord.

So Saturday was a great day with the baptism and everything turned out well. We started a little late, so that was the last thing we did Saturday and then on Sunday he was confirmed and also received the priesthood. It was such a happy day for me and I'm so blessed to have been there every step of the way with him from the first time we taught until he was baptized. The Lord has been giving me so many blessings as I strive to be the best that I can. I am trying to be the most obedient I can because it is thru obedience that we receive freedom. I know that this young man will be strong and he will have tons of support from his sister, brother in law and all of his brother in law's family who are all return missionaries.

The week in general was a bit slow because my companion got his ingrown toenail taken out (finally). He had been living with it for about a month and had been picking at it on his own although I constantly was telling him that it was going to get infected and it did, that's when he gave in. I did divisions with the young men in the ward and it was good to get out and work. We went to visit some people and to contact some references and we were blessed to find a family. I have learned that more than 90% of the time people are going to tell you that they don't have time and are busy but sometimes you just have to keep insisting and persisting until you get in the house. That's what I did. As the father told me that he had just got home from work and that his wife was gone so he couldn't let us in, I just started talking with him. Of course we got onto the topic of religion and I asked him, "Have you ever wondered why there are so many churches?" He responded "Ya. Jesus Christ only has one church, but why are there churches on every street?" I replied "That's such a great question and in fact we have just the answer. If you let us in for 15 min we will answer that exact question," and of course all was done with a smile :)

Sometimes we give up on the word no, but I have learned that "no" is like a bullet, it will either bring us down or we can dodge it and triumph. It's that simple, but it is all up to us.

I'm very proud to be a missionary for my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. It is only in and thru Him that I am here in Guatemala receiving these blessings.

Love Elder Turner

No comments:

Post a Comment