Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Well the first thing I have to do is ask forgiveness for not wishing you a happy birthday last week mom. I am sorry and I swear that I remembered it was your birthday, but not until after I got off the internet. I love you so much mother and I hope that you had a wonderful birthday. I was thinking and praying for you like always :)

Well this past week was Semana Santa, Holy Week. The entire week is celebrated here by what is called processions. I explained a bit of this to dad last week. But so that all know a bit better I will explain in this email. A procession is when the people get together, the Catholics mainly, and they make a "carpet" in the street with flowers and sawdust and pines needles and stuff like that. The people or members of the Catholic Church then pay to carry a big thing that is basically a parade float without wheels. By carrying this float, the sins are forgiven of those who are carrying, or so they believe. The people pay a big sum of money to participate and carry this float, up to 100 quetzales. Can you imagine giving 100 dollars to have your sins forgiven? The people truly believe that a remission of sins comes from carrying this float. You might be able to find something on YouTube about it by searching Semana Santa Proseciones. It's quite crazy too because no one works Thursday thru Sunday.

Wow that is so crazy to hear about the ward news! Ashley and Adam are both serving? I had no idea at all but that is so amazing to hear! I read that and got the biggest smile to hear that Adam is going to serve. I know that the Lord will bless him so much as he has now taken the decision to serve his Father in Heaven. Tell him that I'm super proud of him and that I am super happy for his righteous decisions. And Sam is entering Wednesday!? The ward is going to be so blessed to have so many missionaries serving. If you get a chance, tell Sam that I say hi and that the one thing I recommend is to choose from this moment forward to be exactly obedient.

I'm jealous to hear that you all spent time together this week, but I know that I will have my chance when I get back. I had a dream the other night that I was home, and I asked you mother why I was home and you told me that I had finished my mission. I started crying and then I woke up. It was more of a nightmare than a dream. I love serving a mission so much and I know that it is the absolute best decision that I could have ever made in my life. I have experienced so much in this short time that has changed me for the eternities.

As I was reading the part about the Easter Bunny bringing chickens I though it was a joke but you really do have chickens. I'll chime in with Kya by saying I hope that the Arizona heat isn't making you all go crazy!! Well just so you know, you can feel a bit closer to me with the chickens because it is a normal Guatemalan thing to have chickens. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't see chickens. That is very intelligent to be more self reliant and to have a way to provide some more food into the household. The Lord will surely bless you as you try to save money and be intelligent in the things you buy. I am proud to have a mother who has taught me to be thrifty with my money because I have learned how to spend my money wisely here in the mission so that I will have a bit left over at the end of ever month to put away into an emergency fund. You are a super great mother :)

I am assuming that I will be calling from the same phone for mothers day, but is Mothers' Day the Sunday the 8th or when because here it is Tuesday the 10th? I will do the smae thing I did for Christmas and call you because I'm sure it is cheaper and it seemed to work out well. I do have to ask a favor, that when we talk that we don't talk for more than 40 min because I need to be more obedient and with your help it will be easier to obey.

I love you all so much.

Love Elder Turner

No comments:

Post a Comment