Monday, September 26, 2011

Well my week was a good week and I am feeling a lot better than the last. My companion and I worked hard this week striving to surpass our goals that we put for the week and we were worn out, but I know that the Lord rejuvenates our bodies as we work hard to bring His children back to Him.

That's crazy to hear about the changes happening there at SureƱo. I can't imagine what it would have been like to go to school with a uniform but I am sure that it will be a good change because if we want to prepare for the future, to have a better future, we have to begin with the kids. It might be a bit more rigorous, but to improve the results, the expectations must also improve. I have really gained a testimony of the importance of goals and setting realistic yet high goals so that we can stretch ourselves to reach higher. It's interesting that they will be implementing uniforms, because here in Guatemala every school uses uniforms, from preschool to high school and so I have gotten used to seeing kids who wear their uniforms everyday to school.

We haven't heard much of anything here about Mormon.org and I am assuming for the same reason you mentioned, not that many people here have their own computers. If you want to use a computer, you have to go to an internet cafe and so it isn't as easy as just being in your house and going to the computer and pulling up the internet. I think that it is a great idea that the Church is going more public and trying to help people understand and know who we really are.

This week I had an experience knocking doors where we were able to clear up some confusion that a lady had about the church. We were knocking doors in a place called Alotenango searching for a few references that we had received and at one of the doors a lady answered and so we asked her if she knew the people we were looking for and after going back to ask her husband she came back and showed us in the direction we needed. We mentioned to her that we were looking for this family to share a message about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and that we would like to share it with her. She went to ask her husband if we could share the message, and she came back and told us no thanks. We were persistent and asked if she would just allow us a few short minutes and again she said no. We asked her why and she told us that she had heard things about us and that she didn't want to hear the message. We persisted and although reluctant she let us in. We followed her to the back yard and there we saw her husband, a very stern looking man who seemed upset that we were in his house, so I quickly walked over to him and offered to help him clean up the weeds that he was pulling. He said no thanks, but we asked him to join us for a few minutes and he said ok. He sat down and crossed his arms showing absolutely no interest. We shared with them a 15 min lesson of the Restoration and finished the lesson sharing about the Book of Mormon. We asked some questions to see if they understood and asked if they had any questions or comments for us. The husband who had sat down with no desire to listen to us said "Wow. I had no idea that you believed in Jesus Christ. I thought you adored Joseph Smith but you don't adore him at all, he is just God's chosen servant. I know that you bring a message from God because you didn't tell us what we are doing wrong or what to believe, you just want us to ask God if it is true." It was a great experience for me, and a testimony strengthener to know that when we share the truth by the power and authority that God has given us, we can truly get rid of confusion and bring the light into the lives of many.

Right now my companion and I are working with a sister who is preparing for baptism, her name is Claudia. She came to church yesterday and she mentioned to us that she is reading the Book of Mormon everyday and that she is praying everyday to know if the Book of Mormon is true. I know that God is responding to her petitions and that she is very close to recognizing her answer.

I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is Christ´s church that He has restored through His prophet Joseph Smith. I know the Book of Mormon is true and I love it with all I am. I know that God loves me and that He is my Father. I know that Christ lives and that he is my Savior who has redeemed me from my lost and fallen state. I love the Gospel. There is nothing better. :)

Well I am equally excited for General Conference this weekend and I know that the Lord will have many great things to tell me and to tell you through His beloved and chosen servants. ¡Aprovechela! I can't believe that this is my 3rd of 4 Conferences. Time is cruising!

Love,
Elder Kasey Marshall Turner

No comments:

Post a Comment