Monday, June 6, 2011

That is so great to hear about how everyone is doing although sad to hear that Mack got sick. Hopefully she will recover this week and be able to enjoy the rest of her summer vacation. Hopefully that cousins will enjoy their time in AZ. Let them know that I say hi and that I love them and miss them.

This week has been a good week, although very busy but good. I am so blessed to be with my companion Elder Corbett because I am learning so much from him. We are working hard, but most importantly we are working smart. We are contacting a lot and we are knocking doors a lot but we have been striving to visit at least one active member daily to have their support in the work. After having been in the area so long you get to know the members really well. It is cool to be walking down the street and have people call you by your name being a missionary because normally to the members, you are just a passerby. I have gained such a great love for the people here in Patzica. There are many who I feel are like my family, especially the family Per who feed us everyday. Sister Per said that she has many children, but I am her first white child. :)

Right now as far as investigators that are progressing, we only really have one, her name is Ruth. She is 16 and normally we try not to work too much with younger people because we need priesthood here, but she is super great and this Sunday (yesterday) she told us that she got an answer to her prayers and she knows that the Book of Mormon is true. We put a baptismal date with her for the 26th of June and so we are working with and praying for her. Patzicia is a tough area and many missionaries don't want to come here, but I am glad I got sent here when I was young in the mission so that I wouldn't have a bad mindset about the area. I learned that Patzicia was one of the last cities to give up in a war, a 30 year war, that was going on between the government and the indiginous people and that has a lot to do with why they are such a closed people. I find that many people are "stuck" in their churches because they learned in the war that you can't trust anyone. Many people feel and say that all churches are good churches and that they are all going to the same place so they don't need to change churches. Our message is completely different. God himself told Joseph Smith that all churches were wrong, that all creeds were an abomination and that Joseph should not join any of the churches. We know that the only true church exists now with the authority of God restored. I know that Christ's Church is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints because He himself restored it by sending John the Baptist and Peter James and John, 3 of Christ's original apostles.

To be completely honest in what I wish I would have done to better prepare, I wish I would have paid closer attention in seminary. I know that I was rebelious in my youth, like Kort and Zack are right now, but I recognize that if I would have payed closer attention in seminary, I would be a better teacher from the scriptures. I also wish I would have gained my own testimony of the Book of Mormon sooner in my life. The Book of Mormon is the key to our religion and if the Book of Mormon is true, everything else we do in the Church is true also. The Book of Mormon is essential to a lasting conversion.

I love you all. Be safe and serve with all you heart and a willing mind. Serve like John Tanner.

Elder Turner

No comments:

Post a Comment